jeudi 18 novembre 2021

Julius Jones granted clemency from death penalty

There was a big push for this going on throughout the week, with student walk outs, celebrity influencers weighing in, and it seems to have worked. I did not really pay attention to this until recently, as the finality of a death sentence brings the attention on something. I haven't yet but will probably end up watching the docuseries that seems to have prompted the public outcry for this. But.. I just don't see why so much support is happening for this specific case.

When I saw some of the passionate outcry for him, I expected a much more specific set of facts to point out how he was wronged. Then when I looked through the evidence, it simply wasn't there for me. Perhaps the small doubt invoked is enough to stop a death sentence. The problem I see is that the smallest of doubt possible to not feel comfortable with the finality of a death sentence is what people feel is equal to an what would be necessary for an acquittal. I don't see any new details that would amount to that, but the push will continue.

For clarity's sake, the doubt that is pushed is on the basis that his friend/get away driver, who was also convicted to a 30 year sentence for the murder was really the shooter. This is based on 2 main parts. That the only adult witness testifying about the amount of hair she saw between the hair cap and the bandana he was wearing. Her testimony seems to be taken out of context to "prove" he doesn't match the description.

The other part is jailhouse confessions to 3 separate individuals by the other party. This seems the be the one most focused on, which confuses me somewhat. People believe this guy guilty of murder and framing his friend, but can't fathom he might just lie to random prisoners? Or that random prisoners might lie with nothing really in it for them?

Anyway I wasted a few hours time delving into this, and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth for some of the people involved that defend him without actually looking into the case. I probably haven't left enough info or links for those unfamiliar but didn't want to poison the well too much for fresh eyes that wanted to weigh in.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3CvTqrs

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire