jeudi 10 juin 2021

Somtimes, Windows networking really grinds my gears!

So there is this weird problem I am having (apologies, this is a long winded explanation but I didn't want to leave anything out)

I have three Windows 10 computers networked together, I will call them TOM, DICK and HARRY. They are on the same Workgroup, their network setups in terms of print sharing (on), network discovery (on) and passwords (off) are identical. They each have a user called "Everybody" with full access permissions.

The computers have a series of folders mapped as drives that allow files to be accessed from all three... all of the mapped folders are on one computer... TOM, and the folders are called TRANSPARENCIES {T:}, NEGATIVES {N:} and PRINTS {P:}. These folders are on a separate physical drive {D:} from the system drive, so I am comfortable having no passwords.. there are no shared folders on the system drive.

Everything was working fine until I went to add another folder called , SCANS {S:}, to TOM, and found I was unable to map this folder from DICK and HARRY because TOM does not appear on the list of computers visible from DICK and HARRY.

The Workgroup on TOM lists TOM, DICK and HARRY
The Workgroup on DICK lists DICK and HARRY
The Workgroup on HARRY lists HARRY and DICK

All of the existing previously mapped drives still work, but now I was unable to add a network drive to the SCANS folder on TOM, from DICK and HARRY. Normally this would involve clicking on Map Network Drive, select a drive letter, and browse the Workgroup for the computer and folder, but TOM is not on the list.

Next, I tried typing the path directly into the input box... \\TOM\D\SCANS

A dialog box came up that said something like "Cannot find the computer TOM on the network"

I decided to troubleshoot using the command prompt to find out if all three computers IP addresses were listed, using the following commands

ipconfig to find the IP address of the computer
arp -a to list everything on the network with an IP number

Sure enough the other two computers were listed and visible from all three.... and that got me to thinking. I wondered if I could map the drive using the IP number, so I typed...

\\192.168.1.55\D\SCANS

...into the Map Network Drive input box and BOOM! I didn't expect it to work, but it did

So now, the question is why?

Why can I map the drive using the IP number, when the computer is not listed in the Workgroup, and the computer name is not recognised in the path?



ETA: Each of the computers have a static IP (set in the Ethernet Adaptor Properties TCP/IPV4 section)


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3xbgqJR

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire