lundi 14 juin 2021

Fringe Reset

I was in two minds, whether to put this in Community, or here. Because I do intend at least some serious discussion to come out of this, I ended up with here.

In another thread that I follow, one regular member kept using the term "fringe reset". So Member B asks Member A what he's talking about, and a few posts later says he's found out for himself what it means.

I thought this thread could talk about and around two things:

  1. Firstly, the term itself. I know what the term means, I think, basis the context in which I've seen the term used.

    (A google search shows the term isn't very widely used, but in this short piece, for instance, they spell out what that term refers to. And some more googling around suggests that the "Fringe" part --- the "Reset" part is clear enough --- refers to the TV series and its endless "resets".)

    Probably that's exactly what it is, and exactly how it's derived, that term. If those of you who do use the term want to correct the above, or in any way add to it, please go ahead.


  2. And secondly, and more importantly, about the actual phenomenon the term refers to. Because absolutely, "fringe reset" is a thing. In these forums, yes, but more importantly IRL as well. As I've myself found, more than once.

    It can be disconcerting, and frustrating, this fringe reset thing. Usually this has to do with weird beliefs. Generally superstitions and religious beliefs, belief in paranormal stuff, that kind of thing. (Which is why I chose this sub-forum to start this thread in.) But also, at times, everyday things.

    What happens is you spend a great deal of effort clearly discussing the underlying issue, taking pains to take onboard the person(s) you're discussing whatever-subject-you're-discussing with. If there's persistent disagreement, that's okay, that's a separate matter. But it sometimes/often happens you end up clearly conveying your point, and arriving at agreement. And yet, a few days or weeks down the line, same thing again. It's like the earlier discussion never happened!

    It's so weird, this phenomenon. And frustrating too, did I say that?

    So I thought, maybe some discussion around why this happens. What can be done to see that it doesn't happen. And maybe, if people want, to share their own accounts of this kind of thing happening to them.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3wq8KDs

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire