samedi 28 septembre 2019

100% Disk Use

Mother-******.

Ever since I replaced the power supply on my (refurbished) desktop, I've experienced 100% disk use. I'd imagine the two are unrelated, but a Google search shows at least one other person had a similar problem.

When I first installed the PSU, I heard wretched noises and vibrations from the machine. After rejiggering the HDD, the noises ceased, but the disk use remains.

I've unconnected and re-connected the power-supply and the HDD. It does not matter which programs I run, disk use often spikes to 100% when I try doing something (e.g., Googling, opening a word processor document). The user experience is not as soul crushingly sluggish as I'd expect, but there are hiccups and things can grind to a halt. If I just leave the machine idle, disk use will fall down to 1-3%. I can stream a video from Amazon Prime mostly without issue (in Firefox).

According to Task Manager, different processes trade off on who is most responsible for disk use. Firefox might top out at a few MB/s, but System sometimes comes on takes up as much as 45MB/s, then quickly falls back down. Typically the top process is .1MB/s. I am also experiencing high percentage use regarding the CPU and Memory. As I type (CPU is 96%, Memory is 91%, and Disk is 25%).

I've gone through virtually all of the recommended fixes that websites suggest.

I've...
run Check Disk.
searched for a virus.
disabled superfetch
disabled Windows search
updated Windows
changed energy options
reset virtual memory
"fixed" the PCI-Express firmware bug (StorAHCI.sys driver)

Nothing works. I want to do a reinstall, but I've noticed that in transporting the unit, someone scratched the sticker with the Windows product key. It's missing two or three characters. Would I need that key? I want to say I was wise enough to snap a picture of it when I first received the computer, but I doubt it (and I haven't started searching through archived photos).

Any suggestions would be kindly appreciated.


ETA: Specs
____________________


Windows 10 Pro
1903
Installed on 9/27
OS Build: 18362.387

Disk 0 (C:)

Hitachi HUA723030ALA641

Capacity: 2.7 TB
Formatted: 2.7 TB
System disk: Yes
Page file: Yes

Read speed 0 KB/s
Write speed 262 KB/s
Active time 0%
Average response time 0.5 ms

Memory

4.0 GB DDR3

Speed: 1333 MHz
Slots used: 2 of 4
Form factor: DIMM
Hardware reserved: 125 MB

Available 558 MB
Cached 498 MB
Committed 5.5/7.8 GB
Paged pool 198 MB
Non-paged pool 119 MB
In use (Compressed) 3.3 GB (0 MB)

CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Base speed: 3.20 GHz
Sockets: 1
Cores: 4
Logical processors: 4
Virtualization: Disabled
Hyper-V support: Yes
L1 cache: 256 KB
L2 cache: 1.0 MB
L3 cache: 6.0 MB

Utilization 89%
Speed 3.39 GHz
Up time 0:00:38:08
Processes 155
Threads 1772
Handles 61643


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2nvbEbE

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire