samedi 13 octobre 2018

Condolence - From an Atheist

A dear friend of mine has a daughter who is dying of cancer. She's in her late 20's. I find myself struggling to find appropriate words of condolence as an atheist. - my friend is an atheist also.

The religious have all this stuff wrapped up for them in a neat bundle ..... "I will pray for her" ...... "She will find peace and happiness in Heaven" ........

So what can we say as atheists? I am thinking about sending something like the following to my friend:

"Words of condolence don't come so readily to those like us, who have none of the religious trappings to draw upon. I would just offer however, that to have experienced life as a conscience living person is a wonderful thing, even though the experience may be shorter than you would hope."

I am also considering the following quote by Mark Twain:

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

What do you think and any ideas?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2OqfT4Q

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire