lundi 3 juillet 2023

[Continuation] Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed - part 3

Mod InfoThread continued from http://www.internationalskeptics.com...340657&page=86
Posted By:sarge


Quote:

Originally Posted by The Atheist (Post 14108325)
Better to have tried and failed than sit around being a **** and sniping at her for trying.

I don't think I've ever sniped at her for trying.

ETA: If I did, it was years ago, before I'd thought more about her situation. If you can find an example of such sniping by me, I'll happily admit that it was ignorant and uncharitable, and that my thinking has changed significantly since then.

She was a child, remember? She was educated by her parents about the IPCC report, and the certain destruction of her future if immediate drastic changes were not made. She was incited by her parents to take her fears and demands to the world leaders. She was encouraged by her parents in this project. She was enabled by the same leaders who had no intention of ever taking the drastic action her parents and others had led her to believe was so desperately needed. And she was celebrated by millions of citizens, represented by those leaders, who knew in their hearts they would never ever accept the kinds of drastic policy changes Greta believed were so necessary.

That's a lot of hypocritical crap to pile onto a child who didn't know any better, who'd been fear-mongered by her own parents into being a literal poster child for cargo-cult activism.

So no, I won't snipe at the child for trying. She did what she was raised to believe was right. But I'll snipe at her parents. And I'll snipe at the world leaders who exploited her for a bit of cynical virtue signaling. And I'll snipe at the millions who enthusiastically celebrated her cargo cult, even as they chose not to support the drastic action she was calling for. The drastic action she had been raised to believe was the only way to save her future.

---

I'll snipe at the adult, now, though. I'll snipe at the adult for more pointless cargo-cult photo-op activism. I'll snipe at the adult for getting into a Warholian fifteen-minute social media slapfight with Andrew ******* Tate of all people. I'll snipe at the adult for trying to frame a Friday afternoon train ride as some sort of "strike".


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/0cQ9GAt

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire