mardi 22 novembre 2022

You can reject a refutation of a claim without believing the claim itsellf

I don't know why this even needs to be said, but apparently it does.

For example, on Twitter Sam Harris offered an argument as to why there is no afterlife. I pointed out that his argument worked for neither the Christian nor the Muslim conceptions of an afterlife. Someone responded and said the burden was on me to prove there is an afterlife. I said I don't believe there is an afterlife, to which he responded "So now you are backtracking".

It happens again and again. If I say that the Bible does not imply that pi is equal to 3 then I am assumed to be a Bible inerrantist.

If I say that time paradoxes do not prove that time travel is impossible people immediately that I am saying that time travel is possible. If I say.there is a perfectly good definition of God I am assumed to believe in God.

This attitude implied that if someone says "We know the Earth is spherical because the Bible tells us so" and I point out that this is not a good argument then this means I must be a flat earther.

No of course it doesn't. But why is it so difficult for people to understand this?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/tL4s9Uo

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire