vendredi 4 novembre 2022

Facebook Messenger

My first question is, what is this?

Yesterday I got an email from a friend. Or so I thought. The title was "Robert Smith sent you a message." It looked a little hinky but I was at work so I opened it on a company computer. :o The text read the same as the title: "Robert Smith sent you a message." When I clicked on "View Message" I was asked to "log in." Log in to what? The log in page asked for my email and password. What password? I put in my email address and used my email password. It took me to a Facebook page my friend uses. The post was a historic video someone posted in December 2019. When I emailed my friend to 'thank him,' he emailed me back he knew nothing about it.

I have since discovered, "Messenger is a proprietary instant messaging app and platform developed by Meta Platforms. Originally developed as Facebook Chat in 2008." Okay.

But why did Facebook or Messenger decide to send me a link to something posted almost three years ago? Why did it state "Robert Smith sent you a message, " when he didn't? That doesn't seem ethical. In fact, what it seems like is dishonest and manipulative. At the bottom of the email I got, it stated, in tiny font: "If you don't want to receive these emails from Meta in the future, please unsubscribe. Meta Platforms, Inc., Attention: Community Support, 1 Facebook Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025.'

If I don't want to receive emails from Meta? The email was titled "Robert Smith sent you a message," not "Meta sent you a message." If it had read, "Meta sent you a message," I would have deleted it without bothering to open it. I presume Messenger knows that which is why it doesn't say, Meta sent you a message.

Anybody familiar with this? I'm asking here because, expedience tells me, asking Facebook would be a waste of time. Mine and theirs.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/wfyOGE0

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire