dimanche 13 février 2022

How much energy from 2 ounces of Uranium vs Carloads of Coal?

I ran across this old 1950s film about uranium prospecting:
[yt]fCdB1Wdc5VI[/yt]
Around the 1:07 mark, it claims that "2 ounces of uranium 235 can produce as much electrical energy as 800 carloads of coal."

I know uranium is a very efficient fuel. But, that number seemed a bit high to me. So, I tried to do my own calculations:

According to some Googling:

2 ounces of Uranium produces as much energy as about 170 tons of coal, or so.

A single coal car can contain about 116 tons of coal.

Therefore, it seems, 2 ounces of uranium can only produce about as much energy as 1.5 carloads of coal. Not 800.

Is my math right, or am I missing something?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/p9TfZLQ

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire