dimanche 19 juillet 2020

Trebuchet's stupid computer problems

So (rule of), I previously started a thread for my down-scrolling problem and for my fat-finger problem but really, I might has well just have a catchall thread.

The root problem, of course, is that this old Win7 laptop is pretty much at the end of its life. But I'm accustomed to the old girl and would just as soon not have to go get another one right away. Besides, she's on my desk with a second monitor and wireless mouse and keyboard and the other one, which my wife claims, is in the dining room without those handy things.

The first two problems still occur once in a while but are not worrying me. The downscrolling can be stopped just by tapping the down-arrow on the laptop. The other one I have to close Chrome and restart it but it doesn't happen too often.

But wait, there's more!
About once a week, it can't find the internet. This usually happens a few minutes after I wake it up in the morning. It's connected to the WiFi, and other devices work fine on the same WiFi; it's just this one. Only solution so far is a reboot; I've tried disconnecting from WiFi and reconnecting but no good.

Worse, starting in the past week, is the black screen of death. Just a black screen and blinking cursor, and no response to anything. Now, the battery's been shot for ages. "Plugged in not charging, 0%. Consider replacing your battery." Not worth it at this point. Last weeks black screen actually went away when I pressed the power button, but not today. Eventually I pulled the battery and turned it on and it got going. Then I outsmarted myself by trying to plug the battery in while it was on, the power cord is a bit flakey, and it went off and then blackscreened again. I've pulled the battery again and after a couple of tries got it going.

The real question, I guess, is what should I replace it with? Not a gamer, just need to be able to type on the forum, watch the occasional YouTube, and use some Open Office documents.

At least I'm safe data-wise, did a full backup to a 2TB drive last week and keep my working files on a thumb drive anyhow.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3je1moC

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire