dimanche 12 juillet 2020

I think I found a meteorite in my onion.

This morning I was going to chop up an onion to add to the pinto beans I had soaked in my crock pot overnight, and so I opened a 3 lb bag of yellow onions that I had bought at Walmart 2 weeks ago. I grabbed one of the bigger ones which was approximately 3 inches in diameter and proceeded to cut off the top and bottom and start peeling off the papery skin. It was then that I noticed some apparently thickened yellowish areas on the layer underneath. I began cutting those off and then saw that one had an unusually dark spot in the middle of it.

I poked at the dark spot and the dark spot fell out like it was a pebble or something. After looking at the object, the pebble, more closely I decided it could actually be a small meteorite. Knowing that most meteorites have some iron content, I then found a ceramic magnet and put it to the test, and it was indeed attracted to the magnet. I could even get it to stick to the magnet in some orientations.

Unfortunately, I had continued to cut off the spot on the onion where the object had been embedded before I had thought much about it, so I had to try piecing my onion back together to see where exactly on the onion the object had been. It was apparently on the middle side at almost 90 degrees to what should have been the vertical - considering that roots are typically on the bottom side of onion bulbs, of course.

I couldn't find a piece of the onion skin with a hole in it, so it might have already been missing some skin from around the area where the object was when I first starting peeling the onion. The object had apparently pierced the papery skin and the first thick layer of the onion and had made an indention into the second layer. The inside of the first thick layer looked cratered as if the layer had been dessicated around the object. That layer was visibly thinner around where the object had been as could be seen from what would have normally been the inside of the layer. This couldn't be seen from the outside, however.

Anyway, the possible meteorite is only about 6.5 mm on its longest dimension - so not very impressive in size.

If it is a small meteorite, it's interesting to think about how it got into the side of my onion. It definitely looked like it had punched through the skin and the first fleshy layer of the onion at some point rather than having been slowly pressed into it - and from a direction approximately normal to the surface.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/3fkMvqg

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire