jeudi 14 décembre 2023

Skeptoid appeal

I recently received an email inviting me to donate to Skeptoid Media. This came from Jeff Wagg and Hal Bidlack, both late of the JREF, and urging me to contribute to a skeptical organisation. Other people, who I would tend to respect, Eugenie Scott and Richard Saunders, are also giving their support to this appeal.

Who else here got such an invitation?

I'm a little concerned on a couple of counts. First, I'm wondering what mailing list they are using; how did they get my name? Second, I'm rather wary since the person running Skeptoid Media is a convicted fraudster (and one time, if not now, millionaire). Now, I have seen Brian Dunning speak, at TAM a few years ago, but that was before his conviction. He seemed to be a good speaker, as far as I recall, though I don't know that he's the natural successor to James Randi, which is what is being claimed.

I'm not inclined to pitch in to this myself, partly because I already support UK skeptical organisations (Skeptics in the Pub, and QEDCon), but even without that I don't think I'd be all willing.

Does anyone here have better information on what's going on? Is this all above board? Are my misgivings misplaced?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/qAb09rv

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire