mardi 14 novembre 2023

Christian Nationalism

Given Mike Johnson was elected speaker and he is a Christian nationalist I started to wonder more specifically what policies the Christian nationalists would push if elected to a majority. Belonging to some atheist organizations I have seen some take action requests/legislative alerts etc. I’m just trying to wrap my head around what are the specific threats to freedom of belief or non-belief and how far they might go.

There are a number of newspaper articles but I found this Washington Post article helpful.

There are some obvious things they would do immediately if they had the power:
  • Federal government declare the US is a Christian nation
  • National ban on abortions

There are other policy goals they seem to have but are vague and seem to vary among Christian groups
  • Federal government openly advocate for Christian values (and I see the problem with this in defining who’s Christian values - Pentecostal, Baptist, Catholic?)
  • Churches allowed to veto legislation (Who’s church? Would they try to amend the constitution to make it possible?)
  • Require and oath to Christianity for leadership positions

I find the prospect of what Christian nationalists doing if they gain control pretty scary. At the same time, I do believe they have a long way to go to get this kind of control.

How far would they go?

I could see where if they got control it would be incremental. Smaller things at first until power could be consolidated. Or would they end up following apart under sectarian divides?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/KLkYagN

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire