jeudi 8 juin 2023

Curiouser and curiouser

So, I mentioned in another thread that my NAS was playing up and one of the drives died.

So, I've replaced the drives, installed the latest software on the NAS, and moved the old drives into a couple of external drive housings.

And... recovered all the data from them.

Weird eh?

Those two drives seem quite happy in their new homes but were definitely throwing S.M.A.R.T errors while in the NAS.

This makes me wonder if the NAS (QNAP TS-212) is particularly fussy about errors, and conservative, or...

... if moving the drives from one device to another has rectified a problem?

(I'm imagining a contact on the data connection that was building up resistance.)

I don't think the drive could have had 'stiction' because of their duty cycle, but it is possible I guess.

Oh well, will just have to see what happens next.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/pT9muUg

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire