dimanche 4 juin 2023

Click bait has taken a new turn

We've all seen misleading headlines or article titles that end mid-sentence and if you saw the full sentence you'd see it wasn't interesting. And there have been BS articles forever: alien abduction, UFO sightings, someone gave birth to a batboy and so on.

Recently I've been seeing a new version of clickbait come-ons. One I saw recently had a fake 'growth' on a finger that I'm pretty sure was a piece of coral or fossilized coral. I looked at the article and it was even stupider, claiming the person sought care for it and the clinic locked them in the exam room. At that point I was annoyed. I did skip to the end and I think the claim was it was some virus that came from a tree and they destroyed the tree or something. At that point I wasn't paying a lot of attention.

I didn't save the link.

Then there was a picture where someone glued a bunch of beans on their skin and claimed it was a tick infestation. Apparently this kind of fakery is spreading on TikTok. It looked like engorged ticks except they never bunch up like that. It was quite disgusting.

I didn't save that link either but I'm guessing people can find it.

So tonight I was looking through youtube videos for detective stories and up pops a supposed story about Angelina Jolie showing her in a wheelchair with a leg amputated above the knee. I suspected it almost certainly was fake given I think it would have been in the news. So I searched the news for stories of Jolie and sure enough there was nothing.

If one of you knows that particular story was real, my apologies. But just from looking at the description of the video it was pretty obvious.
Quote:

Hollywood fans burst into tears after hearing the sad news about Angelina Jolie, she is in great pain
And there was something else about her accepting her fate, whatever. I didn't click on it so I also didn't have the link to copy.

It's not that this is new, particularly. Maybe I'm just annoyed because they are popping up in the list of things I'm looking for where they shouldn't be.

Clickbait is annoying enough, now it's worse.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/LcugvqR

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire