dimanche 24 septembre 2017

Instinct & Prejudice

Sam Harris interviewed one Gavin de Becker recently who spoke at some length about our inbuilt self defence mechanism ... instinct.

Quote:

Gavin de Becker is a three-time presidential appointee whose pioneering work has changed the way the U.S. government evaluates threats to its highest officials. He is widely regarded as one of the world’s leading experts on the prediction and management of violence.

Gavin suggested that instinct is something we all have but perhaps is under-utillised for various reasons. One of these reasons he suggested was to avoid being thought of as prejudiced. He gave as an example the following:

A woman is waiting alone for a lift and when it arrives the door opens to reveal a lone man of middle Eastern appearance. Her instinct tells her to turn away but her moral sense is saying get on board so as not to be seen as prejudiced. Gavin suggested she should listen to her instincts.

The story rang a bell with me as I recalled time I was in Cairo some years ago with my wife. We were walking down some back streets looking for a shop to buy a hair drier, that my wife was determined to have. There were a number of men just standing around, (no women), looking at my wife and some trying to talk to her. My instincts screamed at me to get out of there but my wife seemed not to sense any danger.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2jUvcnv

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire