lundi 21 août 2023

Scamming the elderly

So unfortunately last week my family was a victim of people who scam the elderly out of thousands of dollars.

Perhaps they knew I was on vacation. Somebody called up my dad claiming to be me that I had been in a car accident and had been arrested. My nose was broken so I could not talk and so some other guy got on the phone claiming to be a lawyer and explained to my dad that I needed bail money. My dad correctly asked to speak to my wife but the guy said that my wife was in the hospital or something. My dad did call me to tell me that he had collected the cash to give to a man that was going to meet him at his building and I stupidly did not take the call because I was about to go on a tour of the Ben & Jerry's factory in Burlington, Vermont.

So yeah, my dad gave the man $4,500. I'm just glad they didn't ask my father to go meet him somewhere where he could have been beaten up or killed or who knows what.

My dad is a gullible, kind and caring man but I feel like this could happen to anybody. My dad said it sounded like me on the phone it may have sounded like me but I know very often my dad does not even recognize my voice anymore when I call. :(

If you do have an elderly parent please discuss situations like this with them and make sure they contact another trusted family member before they go ahead and make decisions like this.


And btw, mean people suck. I wonder if these events are done by organized groups.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/0aiD2Rl

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire