samedi 30 juillet 2016

Evolution and abiogenesis

I often see people here and elsewhere who argue that the creationists are not entirely wrong when they think that abiogenesis is a part of evolution. One poster said that it felt like a "cop out" when we distinguish between the two.

I wonder why? I cannot see any reason why abiogenesis can be part of evolution, and I cannot see why we should satisfy those people who think they should be. I do not want to discuss science history, because it may well be that the two were once considered two sides of the same coin, but how the modern view is like.

As I see it, evolution is much more than just biological evolution. Evolution can be stated as what happens when there is an error prone duplication mechanism, and lots of generations. Isolation will then bring forward generations that have little resemblance to the starting. Life has such a mechanism, and the multitude of species is the result.

I do not think that we have other examples where new "species" have resulted, but I believe we have examples where errors in duplication of the Bible have resulted in new theology, particularly when translations are involved. So while we can think of other things in evolutionary terms, it would not make sense if we needed to know how the first generation came to be.

Besides, none of the terms that are used for evolution, like genes, or alleles, make sense in conjunction with abiogenesis.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2ah0Pjk

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire