lundi 20 juin 2016

Alcohol Use and Alcoholism

I saw this editorial in the Sunday New York Times.

Drinking by the Numbers

For me it is interesting because I gave up alcohol about a year ago although I have had a about 5 drinks in the last 15 month period. I mainly gave it up because I was finding quantity I was drinking was creeping up similarly to how the editorial descibes it and this was probably a 10 year process. For me, I was actually a tee totaller in undergraduate and didn't start drinking more until graduate school and when I began working. However, it is an interesting intellectual question about when someone crosses the line from heavy drinker to alcoholic. There is also the CAGE test. When I was drinking, I was possibly CAGE positive but it was borderline.

I do have friends who are alcoholics and have since gone to AA and have been dry (some for as many as 30 years). I thought the article was interesting because it suggested giving it up for short periods of times. This is something I have done in the past but I'm not sure if there is an scientific evidence to support this.

It does seem there is no scientific metric that can be used to determine when someone cross the line.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/28Jbh4z

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire