samedi 23 avril 2016

What is Your Definition of Prayer?

How do you define prayer? I am asking in a practical sense. The logistics. What do you actually do?

In another lifetime (one of toil and blood, when blackness was a virtue, and the road was full of mud), I would pray. Oh my god, I would pray. I would pray every single day for a revolution.

When I think back on it, it was practically no different than the now atheist me "writing" a paper in my head, preparing a speech or simply preparing for a conversation. I would describe it as forming words in my head as I would speak or write them.

The only difference is that I would preface it with "Dear God, sorry to disturb you but..." and the message would be directed at some entity I thought existed. No words formed in my head as a response.

There was also vocal prayer in front of groups, but that was really me just saying some stuff I thought people should hear or wanted to hear under the guise of being that group's spokesperson to god for that moment.

It all seems rather silly now. Did I think some god was reading my thoughts? Was "Dear God, sorry to disturb you but" like saying "OK, Google" or whatever they do on iPhones? Or like saying "Arch" on the holodeck? You know, some entity always monitoring what's going on but ignoring everything up to the point I invoked it?

Am I even making sense? I like to read this threads but don't participate much. I don't have an opinion to defend or an agenda. I'm just curious how other people did/do it.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1TqIAaJ

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire