mardi 29 avril 2014

Best leg strength-training routine for marathon runners

I'm a distance runner who sometimes runs marathons, and I am looking to alter my strength-training routine to help improve my running for some races that are coming up.



Now it is tricky trying to find the best approach. It's even trickier finding a personal trainer who knows what they are talking about. So many of them are woo-pushers. For one thing, should I do the leg strength-training before, or after a run? Or just don't run at all on strength-training days? And how many strength-training workouts per week are optimal for someone who runs 50 to 60 miles per week?



Based on my readings, I probably shouldn't be doing these leg lift exercises I've been doing for years. To do this exercise, I would lay flat on the floor facing the ceiling and lift my legs which have ankle weights trapped to them, for about 15 reps(alternating legs after reps) for usually about 5 sets. Hardly anyone does this or recommends this(except for physical therapy). Is this a good exercise for runners?



Instead of this I will do more squats.



Another thing I sometimes do is walk around and run a little with a backpack strapped to my back with a 24 lb(11 kg) medicine ball inside for about 20 minutes. Some runners who are much faster than me do this and recommend it. Is this a good idea?



I also do hip exercises using resistance bands, and these feel effective.



Any other proven leg or ab exercises to recommend for a distance runner who doesn't want to go to a gym? I have no dumbbells or barbells, just resistance bands in my home gym, and medicine balls. If possible, cite your sources. And how long should a leg workout be? 20 minutes? 40 minutes? Above all, I don't want to do any more than is necessary for improving performance and preventing injury.





via JREF Forum http://ift.tt/1pMi9Rk

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire