dimanche 1 septembre 2013

Shakespeare's will

I saw the following thrown around as Shakespeare's supposed "last words" (a notorious class of utterances) the other day:




Quote:








In the name of God, Amen. I, William Shackspeare of Stratford-upon-Avon in the county of Warwick, gent., in perfect health and memory, God be praised, do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following. That is to say, first, I commend my soul into the hands of God my Creator, hoping and assuredly believing, through the only merits of Jesus Christ my Saviour, to be made partaker of life everlasting, and my body to the earth whereof it is made.



I found this a tad interesting. I looked it up and it's not quite that - it's a quote from his will. Now, I noticed upon reading it that it not only sounds unlike Shakespeare in its composition, but looks like some kind of boilerplate text used to introduce wills that you were expected to write.



Thoughts? Was that composed by Shakespeare, or some conventional text used for wills?





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=264619&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire