jeudi 2 août 2018

So-called "Spirit Boxes"

For reference, I watch the show "Ghost Adventures" quite often. Not because I actually believe these guys are finding legit evidence of spirits, but more because I get such a kick out of their reactions to things (seriously, they're like those lame attempts at horror films where the actors are trying so hard to appear scared or shocked or what have you; it's just WAY over the top). I don't personally believe in ghosts, but these guys give me a giggle every time I watch. Sue me; I watch bad movies for the fun of it, remember.

However, I was curious about one piece of equipment the show uses; the so-called "Spirit Box", which is a device that rapidly scans radio frequencies (several frequencies per second, if the show is to be believed), and the belief is that the "spirits" can use the resulting white noise to answer questions or say things. I'm not going to get into the validity of what these guys are hearing in the moment (especially because I will often listen to the audio with my eyes closed and I usually don't hear what they hear when I do so), but I am curious how you can occasionally hear several words overlaid on the white noise that APPEAR to be strung into a semi-coherent sentence (although again, I don't usually hear the exact same thing these guys are hearing in the moment) from someone in what appears to be the same voice. If the device is actually scanning multiple radio frequencies per second (I don't know the exact rate, but just for the purposes of debate let's say it scans fifteen radio frequencies per second), how does a short sentence in the same voice (usually four to seven words) get strung over anywhere from fifteen to thirty radio frequencies? (I don't believe, although I've never actually timed it, that the sentences are much more than two seconds or so long in the show).

I read something somewhere that says a normal human can say about six syllables a second (ten syllables a second is considered the most a normal human can comprehend, although there may be some evidence indicating a blind person can understand up to nineteen). Four to seven words, depending on the words of course, are usually more than six syllables and are sometimes more than ten. I'm just curious, because apparently my Google-fu is weak and I can't find any real scientific studies on the matter, has there been any valid investigation into the sounds that our brains interpret as words coming from a "Spirit box" and whether it actually provides any legitimate method of obtaining actual voices? Mind you, even if there is any legitimacy behind the technology, I'd still be skeptical that it's a "ghost" actually responding; I think it's far more likely that snippets of words from various broadcasts are actually just being recognized as a word or two by our brains, which are designed to look for those sorts of patterns. Doesn't change my curiosity into whether the device itself has any legitimate scientific application. Anyone here ever looked into them?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2LKXmyJ

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire