mercredi 29 août 2018

Pardoning Nixon, a retrospective

Given the current political climate and my sense of optimism, impeachment and ex-presidential indictment have been on my mind. Of course, the Nixon example comes to mind, being the only true precedent we have.

I am curious to what are people's thoughts on Ford's pardoning of Nixon. The argument was that Nixon needed to be pardoned so that the nation could move on and not dwell on old wounds as the trials dragged out. Also, it would be bad for the nation to have a former president in a jail cell.

This was before my time, so my opinion is not very firm. Generally, I found that excuse pretty weak and Nixon essentially got away with being a criminal.

What are the forums thoughts on the matter? Is the general concept sound? What are the arguments for or against pardoning Nixon, or some future "hypothetical" criminal president.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2BZ2vin

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire