jeudi 30 août 2018

Dear Users... (A thread for Sysadmin, Technical Support, and Help Desk people)

Dear Users.

- "Oh I'm not a computer perso..." SHUT UP! Just shut up. Your entire job consists entirely of things that are completely done on a computer. This cutesy poo passive aggressive "Oh I'm not a computer person" line whenever I try to explain anything to you is insane. You don't get to remain functionally (and oddly proudly) intentionally ignorant of the core conceit of your entire job.

- "But I'm old..." SHUT UP! It's 2018. Computers have been common in office environments since the late 70s/ early 80s and totally ubiquitous since the mid-90s or so. You're 40 not 110. Unless you're a Highlander the math on the whole "But I'm toooooo old to learn computers" excuse just doesn't add up.

- No I am not going to maintain older, no longer supported versions of software that are riddled with security holes and have zero support structure still in place just for you to use because that's what you're used to. I don't care that you've kept this spreadsheet in VisiCalc on your Amiga since the Carter administration and "That's what I'm used to," it's going on an a version of Excel from this millennium.

- "My computer don't work." isn't a trouble call. I need to know what function you can't perform, what error you are seeing, something to work off of. If you can't functionally describe the problem you are having, then I can't fix it. "It doesn't do what it usually does but I can't describe what it usually does" doesn't leave me anywhere to go.

- It is not my job to do aspects of your job just because those aspects are "on the computer." In loose analogous terms I'm your mechanic, I am neither your drive or your driving instructor. If your check engine light is on, call me. If your car won't start, call me. If your car pulls to left on straight roads, call me. If you forgot how to turn on your headlights for the 20th time, don't call me. If you want your radio stations changed, don't call me. If you want someone to drive you to the store, don't call me.

So no I have no bloody flippin' clue what the diagnostic code for a detached patella is and I shouldn't have that information available off the top of my head just because the form you are filling that information into is "on the computer." Your IT Support staff are not experts, or indeed even user trained, on how to functionally use every piece of medical software, every hospital and insurance company's website, or why your

- I cannot reset your GMail, Facebook, or in car stereo password/PIN.

- Every problem is not the result of the last thing IT did to your computer. No your computer was not "working fine before the IT guy touched it." No me adding a printer did not make your e-mail rules stop working.


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2N14JSz

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire