mardi 31 juillet 2018

Compounding a Bad (Email) Choice

Almost seven years ago, changing from a company I'd worked with for fifteen years (and had the same email address wherever I moved in the world), I opted to mimic the address structure of firstname.lastname@ companyname.com I have business contacts that date back forty years and my name is relatively unique. So it seemed logical as I could tell all my current contacts and coworkers "Same address just change the domain to @gmail.com".

And it worked, but less and less over the years. I also (stupidly) used the same address for consulting and for our coffee shop business. Typical dumbass move, not wanting to have to remember to check three to five email addresses.

Oh, and really (not) clever? Typical business user...I saved a signature that included my mobile number.

What all of this has achieved is the anyone who can do a little digging (or who I tell to stop annoying me via email) sees my firstname.lastname and my phone number. That's usually sufficient to get phishers to at least make an attempt to hack into the account or to temp me with phishing scams.

What I want to do is:
Notify everyone in my directory (can be done on Gmail, I checked) that I am going to go a tad more incognito. Send out an email to "All" saying that in X days I will be at a new address and those of you who wish to stay in contact (either personal or business as I still do some consulting) will need to contact me at this address so I can provide you with the new one.

Does this sound feasible? I think the easiest is to create a second Gmail account and then delete the old one when I'm ready.

I've cleaned off the footer, though, so one clue (my phone #) is gone, at least. Should I maybe just set up an auto-response telling salesmen and undesirables to get off my lawn and not try to locate me, but you hot babes and swell people can ask a bunch of people you know know me and one of them will have already found me. Or I could tell 'em to check LinkedIn which has a closed messaging system so I can vet them before I give them the new email.

It'd sure be easier to just change your Gmail address but that's not really possible.

My major worry is not losing people. My major worry is all the damned little accounts we open on the internet where your email address is your ID in some form. I can't remember how many of those I have. Hell, I think my Google account and MS account ID me by my Gmail address plus password.

Any thoughts (no, I'm not getting a Mac nor changing to Linux)?


via International Skeptics Forum https://ift.tt/2v4KIk1

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire