jeudi 8 août 2013

Suppressing the "System Settings Change" dialog

As some of you may know, I have Photo Kiosks at my place of business. They are essentially Windows XP Pro driven PCs with an ELO touch-screen and proprietary software (Whitech Phototeller) for customers to create their order.



Phototeller is the only thing that customers see; the Windows desktop is in the background, and invisible, but it can be accessed by shutting down Phototeller using a mouse and a pin code if you know exactly where to click.



The problem I have is that some USB drives trigger the "System Settings Change" dialog, saying that a restart is required.







This dialog does not appear to the customer, but it exists in the background. While that customer is able to continue with their order, its when the NEXT customer comes along that the problems start. When they insert a USB stick, Phototeller says there are no images on the device. When I shut down Phototeller, the "System Settings Change" dialog is there, and when I check in "My Computer" the customer's USB drive us not listed (no drive letter). I am assuming that the open "System Settings Change" dialog is suppressing the detection of the USB drive. Simply cancelleing the dialog and restarting Phototeller fixes the problem, which indicates to me that a computer restart was never actually needed.



This happens several times a day across the five kiosks I have in my shop. Simply restarting Phototeller every time this happens is not a practical option. What I really need is a way to prevent that "System Settings Change" dialog from ever appearing. Anyone have any idea how to do that?





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=263500&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire