mardi 6 août 2013

Sceptic Challenge: The mystery of the Ghostly Washing Machine

Hey all! Something strange happened to me a year or two ago that I thought might prove for a fun challenge to the Sceptics of this forum. The challenge is this: Post your best explanation for the events described below, and whoever gets it correct receives +10 Actual Discriminating Sceptic Points (along with bragging rights). I know what the real explanation is now but at the time I really couldn't quite wrap my head around it.



The story is as follows. About two years ago the washing machine of my student house broke. I lived in the house with two friends, who were quite dependent on the washing machine as they were international students and so couldn't wash their clothes at their parents house like I did. A new washing machine arrived after a while (sent by the landlord) and now the issue was where to move the old washing machine until my housemates had time to move it to the landfill. One of my housemates pointed out that the kitchen door led directly to the balcony of my room and suggested the old machine be moved there for the time being. I agreed on the condition that they would remove the old machine while I was away for the weekend, as otherwise I would not be able to use my balcony. My housemates could be quite lazy and so I was not very confident that they would actually do this. When I returned to my room on monday morning, I took a quick look through the door to my balcony and found, none to my surprise, that the washing machine was still right there where they left it. I then hurried down to meet up with my house mates at the university. I admonished them for breaking their promise, but they replied that they had in fact removed the machine the day before. One of them was angry, and said that I was so eager to point fingers that I hadn't even bothered to check whether the machine was there! Utterly confused, I checked as soon as we got back from university, and indeed, the washing machine was not there. This was taken as proof that I had not bothered to check, and yet, I was entirely certain that I had seen it! What the heck!? :boxedin:



Ok, so it's not as thrilling as a real ghost story... but then it did actually happen! And I still found it confusing as heck. How do you guys explain this? I am curious what explanations you will come up with. Additional details will be provided if asked for.





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=263380&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire