lundi 5 août 2013

Discovery Channel "Documentary" is Shameful

So. There's no good way to start this thread, forgive my poor grammar. I'm still sputteringly angry at Discovery.



For those who missed it--lucky you--last night Discovery started their annual Shark Week by putting on a 'documentary' about the search for a living modern Carcharodon megalodon. You know, the thing that had teeth like a great white shark's only the length of your hand? Probably was 60+ feet long, and we've found whale fossils with shear marks from their teeth...





Well, Discovery used fake scientists, fake videos, scripted 'events' and digital editing to create a supposed scientific investigation into a giant shark that sank a fishing vessel... It was like a Syfy Original Movie, only it was being promoted as fact.



I think we--the thinking public--need to actually take a stand here. I think that some big guns need to come out and publically shame the network. Phil Plait, you listening? Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Heads of departments in Marine Biology, Paleontology at colleges and universities? We need you to step up.



I can, and have, posted and will email (their Viewer Relations Site would not load on any of the 3 times I tried) to Discovery Channel to indicate that this is abandoning the science and engineering focus that got them their audience.



Frankly, I hope that the Mythbusters #1 requested myth is that they bust this 'documentary' as the farce it was. I wish their contracts would let them speak up and issue some public calls for a retraction and apology.



Those are my thoughts. What do the rest of you think?





Disappointed and angry, Miss_Kitt





PS This is in Current Events instead of the TV section because I think this is larger than the Members Only area.





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=263338&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire