samedi 24 août 2013

computer lock up after idling

My desktop pc regularly locks up after being left unattended. I often use this pc for work, and so am on it for many hours - so long as I am using it it never locks up. This is a Windows 7 64-bit professional machine.



If I go away and come back in a few hours it is quite unresponsive. "Quite" is deliberate. The mouse still works, often I can select tabs in my browser and they get redrawn correctly, I can open the start menu. But if I try to launch any program nothing happens, if I browse nothing happens, and so on. Basically the mouse and menus seem to still work, at least at first. If I click around enough sometimes the mouse goes to a wait cursor. But it still responds to movement.



I have the computer set to never sleep - all the power options are set to maximum settings (it wasn't that way, but I thought at first I had a sleep/wake up issue). Everything - hard drive, monitors, bus, as all set to never sleep.



Virus scans turn up nothing. I've run Microsoft security essentials, and in the past had malwarebytes installed. They find nothing.



In the past I had some blue screen due to my graphics card (GTX 680). It was pretty dusty so I removed it, blew it free of dust, reinstalled and reseated. I've also gone back on the driver version - the latest NVIDIA drivers have a ton of blue screen bug reports on them. Since doing all that I have not had another blue screen.



I've run chkdsk, windows memory diagnostic. I'm going to download memtest86 and try that.



Any ideas? I don't have endless money to throw at this, replacing video cards and such. I am probably going to upgrade my hard drive - I was hoping to avoid that, but i'm on the same windows installation since 2010.





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=264248&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire